HOW SWEET IT IS....!
OHIO STATE 37 - MICHIGAN - 21
THE OFFENSE SETS THE TONE. Let's face it - this was a make or break game for Ohio State. Michigan came into the game confident of winning and Ohio State, which had struggled all season on offense, found a dynamite package in Sophomore Quarterback Troy Smith. Ohio State set the tone when Smith threw a 68 yard TD pass to Anothony Gonzalez on their first drive of the game. Then, after Michigan responded by rolling to an early 14-7 lead, the offense and the defense of OSU put on a display that had not been witnessed all season as the Buckeyes RIPPED off the next 27 points to take an insurmountable 34-14 lead against the "once mighty" wolverines. Sophomore quarterback Troy Smith had a career game as he passed for 241 yards and ran for 145 yards.
SPECIAL TEAMS SET THE TONE.......Placekicker Mike Nugent will be remembered forever as the all time greatest kicker in the history of Ohio State. Mike went a perfect 3 for 3 in the field goal department (ho-hum). The other special teams start was Freshman punt returner Ted Ginn. Ted helped put the game away in the second half when Michigan foolishly punted to him and he returned the punt 82 yards for a touchdown.
1. Ted Ginn's 82 yard punt return is the longest play allowed by Michigan this season and the 1st OSU punt return for a tD vs Michigan since 1971 when Tom Campana took a punt back 85 yards.
2. OSU quarterback Troy Smith rushed for 145 yards, becoming the first OSU quarterback to rush for 100 yards since Rod Gerald in 1977 vs Iowa. The 145 yards on the ground by Smith fell just 1 yard shy of the Ohio State record held by Cornelius Greene with 146 yards vs Wisconsin in 1974.
3. Troy Smith scrambled for 46 yards in the third quarter, marking a career long. Rex Kern hold the OSU record for longest rush by a QB at 76 yards vs Illinois in 1970.
4. Ohio state snapped Michigan's 8 game winning streak this season and ended
the Wolverines 13 game Big Ten winning streak.
5. OSU Coach Jim Tressel is now 3-1 vs Michigan.
6. This game is the first time Ohio State has not allowed a Michigan sack since 1990.
7. For the 100th consecutive game, OSU socred at least one touchdown. The last OSU game without a touchdown was a 13-9 loss to Michigan in 1996.
8. With the win, Ohio State has moved ahead in the series 26-25-2 since 1952.
9. OSU coach Jim Tressel is now 25-3 at home at Ohio State.
Number of Visitors: